Back to the Genealogy Menu

Franklin Repository, Chambersburg, Pa., June 26, 1901

Crazed C.V. Engineman Murders Two Hagerstown Men. Jacob Fuller, Formerly of Town, and Policeman Murphy Flory Killed by William Grant In a Frenzy of Rage. Samuel Long Narrowly Escapes the Same Fate.

Hagerstown, Md, June 25--A tragedy was enacted here this evening in which two men, one a native of Chambersburg, lost their lives. The particulars follow J.Wm. Grant who is 47 years of age and who has been running as as engineman on the Cumberland Valley Railroad between Hagerstown and Winchester ever since that branch was built, became engaged in an altercation with Machinist William Holts with reference to repairs to his engine and the latter reported the trouble to foreman Jacob J. Fuller, who notified his superiors.

Grant's discharge followed and he held the foreman responsible for it,

About 530 this evening Grant walged from the Franklin House to the C.V. round house.

About 5 o'clock Grant telephoned to Fuller and S.H. Long, the general agent of C.V., to meet him as he withed to talk with them in reference tp his discharge. He then went up to the round house and walked down to the depot to meet Long. Mr. Long came out of his office and locked the door behind him as it wa about a quarter of six o'clock. The three had not been talking more that five minutes before the shooting began.

Fuller was standing on the platform leaning against the scale beam, facing west. Long was standing on his left a few feet away and Grant was facing both/ He drew his revolver and stepped back as he did so. Fuller raised himself from the scale beam as he saw the revolver but before he could lift his hand or Long could interfere, the bullet was sped striking Fullerom the right temple. Grant then made a motion as of he was about to turn the revolver on Long. It was done almost in the flash of an eye and Long just managed to het around the corner of the building when a bullet came singing after him. He stepped in the office at the side door and then went out in the wareroom. Passing through the wareroom he went out the end door, and mingling with the freight cars he suceeded in avoiding Grant. He went to Boyer & Heard's and from there telephoned to the police headquarters. Deputy Naille in the meanwhile went to the scene of the trouble.

Grant after shooting at Long ran around the corner of the build- ing and failing to see his man, it is said, turned the revolver against himself and then inflicted the wound he had back of his right ear. This was a glancing wound, the bullet having merely torn the scalp.

He then sat down on the platform and it was at that time Police- man Murphy Flory came in sight having been called from Jonathan street by some person who had witnessed the first shooting.

_____________ off the platform after failing to find Mr. Long and snapped his revolver several times. It failed to go off and he then reloaded it. This pistol was a five shot, self acting, 32 calibre, Hopkins and Allen make. When the revolver was taken from him it was found to contain one cartride unexploded and one empyl shell. This would seem to indicate, unless Grant emptied the shells from his revolver and reloaded before Naille came, that he shot when falling. That shot sent the ball into Grant's stomach.

H.G.Naille, a deputy sheriff, ran up to the depot. As he came over the hill he saw Grant standing against the platform of the station with his head bent forward resting on his arm. Naille stepped up behind him and took hold of him. A terrific struggle then ensued and Naille, with difficulty, wrenched the revolver away from him. Grant was very violent and attempted to shoot. Samuel Golden, a railroad watchman, came to Naille's aid and they overpowered their man. As soon as he was disarmed he ceased to resist and went quietly to jail with his captors. There he was taken in charge by Sheriff Zeiler and put in the steel cage on a cot. He remained there until the physician, Dr. O.H. Ragan, arrived to look after his wounds.

A man who knew both Fuller and Grant intimately sait to night that they were the best of friend and that the shooting of Fuller by Grant could only have occurred while the later was temporarily insane.

Grant was calm and collected and told the physician that he had shot twice. He pointed to the right side of his head, stating that Flory shot him there, and then showed the wound in his abdomen. In reply to a question, he said that the bullet had not gone through his body; but was still in him. He said he felt a tingling sensation in the region of the wound and in his leg. A friend standing by, told him not to say anything now, and in a few minutes he was taken in charger by the physician, At that moment a man at the jail door said "Jake Fuller just died." Fuller passed away at 704 p.m. without having regained consciousness. Dr. J. McP. Scott, who attended him pronounced his case hopeless the moment he saw him, as the bullet was in his brain.

About a week ago Grant had some trouble at the engine house, when, it is said, he threatened to stab one of the employees at the roundhouse. He is also said to have threatened to do Mr. Fuller bodily harm. He was suspended at the time, pending an investigation. This was made through the proper channel and today he received his dismissal in a letter from Chambersburg. With this letter in his pocket he went to see Mr. Fuller and the two then walked walked to the C.V. freight station. They stepped up on the platform near the scales and Mr. Long joined them. A few moments later Grant pulled a letter from his left hip pocket with the remark "here is my discharge." Then with his right hand he pulled his revolver from his right hip pocket and in almost the same breath he said "Dam you I will settle you." He made one step back and before Mr. Fuller had an opportunity to defend himself a bullet from Grant's revolver crashed through his brain. Mr. Long quickly stepped around the corner of the building and entered the office of the cashier.

The employes about the freight depot were terrified by the shooting and did not know who would be the next to fall a victin to Grant's death dealing revolver, and they shouted warning to Naille as he approached telling him that he should stay back for Grant would shoot him.

As soon as possible people hastened to Fuller's assistance but he was beyond human aid. First a pillow was placed under his head. As the news flew and the crowd gathered he was moved into the warehouse and placed on a cot. He was a man of splendid physique and surrendered slowly to the wound. However he grew weaker until the inevitable end. A jury viewed the body and it was removed to his home on East Franklin street. On the way to the jail Grant begged Watchman Golden to get him some poison, saying he wanted to kill himself. He is said to have told the officers that he only wanted to kill Mr. Fuller and Mr. Long, who he thought were responsible for his discharge; and that he would not have shot Officer Flory if the latter had remained away from him. He seemed quiet and composed and said nothing to indicate that he regretted what he had done.

Grant is a native of Shepardstown, being a son of J.W. Grant, of that place. He had been in the employ of the Cumberland Valley Railroad for about fifteen years. His run was between Hagerstown and Winchester. His home is at 140 North Potomac street. He is a man of about fifty years of age and has a wife and three children.

Justice Hoffman, who was immediately notified of the terrible affair, hastened to the scene. Officer Flory was already dead and Justice Hoffman caused Constable Oliver to summon the follow- ing jury of inquisition George W. Stover, W.J. Hurley, W.E. Geary, J.G. Martin, Eli Woltz, E.B. Munson, Charles Stem, Edwin P. Dunn, M. Finley Seibert, John W. Recher, A.J. Zinland, John H. Ullrich. After reviewing the body of the unforunate officer the juror were excused untiol Wednesday at 4 o'clock.

Justice Hoffman committed Grant to jail without bail pending the result of the two inquisitions.

Policeman Flory was a son of Mr. Alexander M. Flory, of Four Locks. He was aged 31 years and single. When W.F. Seibert was elected sheriff Mr. Flory was appointed turnkey at the jail which office he filled until the Spanish American war broke out, when he enlisted as a member of Company B and served throughout the war. Later he was a conductor on the Street Railway. He was appointed a member of the police force by the street commissioners last march a year ago. He was one of the most popular members of the force and was a general favorite at police headquarters. Surviving him are his father and two brothers Denton and George, both living in Texas.

As soon as the bodies had been viewed by the juries they were removed by Undertaker Suter to his rooms, West Franklin street, where they were prepared for burial. This work was not completed until a late hour. Afterward the body of the Officer was removed across the street to the home of ex-sheriff Seibert. Mr. Fuller's remains were taken to his late home, 19 West Franklin street. No arrangements for the funeral have yet been made.

At midnight Grant was resting easily but his would is considered to be of a most serious nature. He was perfectly calm and talked freely to those about him.

Grant Will Recover

Hagerstown, June 26-Grant today is quiet in jail and is not considered mortally wounded. It has been found that three bullet holes are through his had made by his shots. The wound in his neck came from Flory's second shot. Yesterday morning Fuller told his wife that a friend had warned him that Grant carried a revolver and might shoot him but Fuller did not think it possible. There is no danger of any lynching, although the excitement was and is intense.

Jacob Fuller was a native of Chambersburg, a son of the late Christian Fuller, and one of a family long and honorably connected with the C.V.R.R. He was 61 years of age and had been in the employment of the C.V. for about 40 years. For 25 years he was an engineman, running the fast passenger trains up to the time of the fatal collision at Britton's Woods, 12 years ago, near Shippensburg, when Charles Bitner was killed. After that accident he never ran an engine, but was made round-house foreman at Hagerstown, where he made his home. He is survived by his wife, who is almost crazed by his tragic death, and one daughter, Alice, married to C.S.shull, of Greenville, S.C., but recently and now living there. The following brothers and sisters also survive Mrs. Robert Thompson, Mrs. H.C. White, Mrs. George Stork, of town; Mrs. J.W. Shafer, of Springfield, Ohio; Christian and John, of the C.V.R.R., of town and, Charles, of Winchester, Va. Mr. Fuller was known as a man of quiet and mild manner and was univerally repected by the railroad men and all who knew him.

When the word came to Chambersburg of his being shot, Gen. J.F. Boyd, with his usual thoughfulness and kindness, sent word to his brothers and sisters that he would be glad to send them by special train to Hagerstown, and the 7 p.m. train from Waynesboro was put at their disposal, the General going along to be os what service he could. The relatives got there after Mr. Fuller died and in about two hours returned home by the same special train.


Public Opinion, Chambersburg, Pa., Wednesday Morning, June 26,1901

Railroad Engineman Turned Murderer and Killed Two Tragedy at Hagerstown on Tuesday Evening In Which J. William Grant Shot Jacob Fuller, a Former Resident of Twon and Policeman Murphy Flora, Who Tried to Take the Perpertator Into Custody-Grant Had Lost His Situation and Placed the Blame on the Roundhouse Foreman.

Hagerstown, June 25. A tragedy that has stirred Hagerstown from one end to the other occurred this evening a few minute before 6 o'clock. As its result two men are dead and the perpertrator is in the Washington county prison. The tragedy occurred at the Cumberland Valley and Norfolk and Western freight station at the corner of the Cumberland Valley railroad and Church street.

The whistles announcing the day's toil over had not yet sounded when pistol shots rang out and Jacob Fuller, the foreman of the round house, dropped to the ground with a bullet in his right temple. A short distance away stood J. William Grant, an engine- man on the Cumberland Valley railroadm discharged because of an altercation with Machinist William Holts, vainly endeavoring to explode the weapon against his own temple. He pulled the trigger, once, twice,thrice, but the cartridge would not explode.

While Grant was trying to end his life, Policeman Murphy Flora, of the Hagerstown police force, aged 33 years, came upon him and ordered him to remove the pistol from his temple, at the same time drawing his own weapon.

Grant, according to bystanders, warmed Flora to remain away from him or take the consequence. When the policeman, knowing he had given Fuller a fatal wound, tried to take him into custody he fired, the bullet missing the officer. The the officer fired, the bullet striking Grant in the groin. Grant fired a second shot which entered the policeman's breast and he fell dead instantly. Meanwhile Grant's first victim, who was found to be in a dying condition, was placed in the hands of a physician, but the bullet had entered a vital part and Mr. Fuller died at 705. Grant was captured and taken to jail. It was found he had two wounds, one in his right groin and one back of his right ear. He said Flora had shot him, but refused to talk with a "Herald" representative as to his motive in shooting Fuller.

There were few pesons about the freight station at the time of the shooting and for that reason it is difficult to describe accurately the movements of the two men. It is said, however, that Grant had called first upon Mr. Fuller at the round house and that then the two went to see Mr. Long, the freight agent.

Facing Fuller, Grant accused him of being responsible for his discharge, which went into effect on Tuesday, June 18th. Whether Fuller replied to him is not known, but persons standing by were startled by the report of the pistol and the fall of the foreman, He had previously shot at Mr. Long, who got out of his way.

So far as can be learned here, Grant, Who is about 47 years of age and who has been running as engineman on the Cumberland Valley railroad between Hagerstown and Winchester ever since that branch was built, became engaged in an altercation with Machinist William Holts with reference to repairs to his engine and that the latter reported the trouble to Foreman Fuller, who, in turn, notified his superiors. Grant's discharge followed and he held the foreman responsible for it. This, it is asserted, was the cause of the tragedy in which the foreman lost his life. It is akso a fact that Grant has been in poor health for two years; that medicine alone has kept him up and able to work. His wife is blind and together with poor health and the loss of his situation, it is presumed that the engineman became crazed and committed the terrible deed which sent two men to eternity and gave himself what may prove to be fatal wounds.

Grant was arrested by Deputy Sheriff H.E. Naill, who ways that he shot himself back of the ear while trying to shoot the deputy sheriff who grasped him by the shoulders as he was trying to re- load his pistol.

When the news of the tragedy reached Chambersburg shortly after six o'clock on Tuesday evening it was decided that as both men had been in the employ of the Cumberland Valley railroad an investiga- tion would be made. Accordingly the train arriving here from Waynesboro at 7 o'clock was run through to Hagerstown, the departure being made at 729. The train contained the brothers and sisters of the dead man and General Superintendent Boyd and other officials.

A man who knew both Fuller and Grant intimately said last night that they were the best of friends and that the shooting of Fuller by Grant could only have occurred while the latter was temporarily insane. It is known that Grant threatened the life of Fuller a few days ago, blaming him, as set forth in our Hagerstown dispatch, with being the cause of his discharge. When the party arrived at Hagerstown Justice of the Peace Ernest Hoffman was setting about the work of holding inquests over the bodies. The funeral arrangements had not been made last night. Bad news travels swiftly and it was but a short time until the shooting and its results were being discussed by hundreds of persons here. In railroad circles there are probably no better known men that the Fullers and, as the dead man had been a Chambersburger, the interest was the more keen.

The dead roundhouse foreman had lived in Chambersburg and was about 55 years of age. He had been an employee of the Cumberland Valley railroad for many years, being in charge of the engine was in the wreck in which Charles Bitner lost his life at Britton's woods, near Shippensburg. He had been in Hagerstown since that unfortunate accident. He was the son of the late Christian Fuller, who was for years employed in the blacksmith shop of the Cumberland Valley railroad at this place. He has three brothers Charles Fuller, who is foreman of the Cumberland Valley roundhouse at Winchester, Va.; John Fuller, employed in the Cumberland Valley machine shops at this place and Christian Fuller, a machinist in the Cumberland Valley round house at this place, and two sisters, Mrs. George Stork and Mrs. H.C. White, of this place. He was one of the most valued of the Cumberland Valley employees and his death is greatly regretted by employees and officials. An inquest over his body will be held this afternoon as will the inquest over the policeman.


The Evening News=Item, Winchester Va., Wednesday, June 26, 1901

A Terrible tragedy, Two Men Shot To Death By a Third All Hagerstown Was Exited.

Officer Flory Dies Almost Instantly and Jacob J. Fuller Succumbs Later

The most frightful tragedy that has ever occurred in Hagerstown took place yesterday evening about a quarter of six o'clock. Policeman Murphy Flory and Jacob J. Fuller are lying cold in death and William Grant is in jail suffering from two pistol shot wounds awaiting the finding of the just of inquest. The principals in this affair were well known and the event has caused a profound sensation.

William Grant, who has been employed as an engineman on the Cumberland Valley Railroad, running between Hagerstown and Win- chester, walked fromthe Franklin House, where he had been sitting for an hour or more, to the Cumberland Valley round house, arri- ving there about 530 o'clock. He engaged Jacob J. Fuller, the round house foreman in conversation and both walked away to the Cumberland Valley freight station. They stood on the platform near the scales and were talking when Samuel H.Long came up and joined them. In a few moments afterwards Grant whipped out a revolver and fired at Fuller. The bullet struck him in the right temple and he fell to the ground. Long stepped away as Grant began firing and escaped into the station untouched, although several shots were fired at him.

Long tole the story of the tragedy as follows

"Grant had been dismissed from the service for drawing a knife in Machinist William Hose. Fuller reported the matter. The testimony of witnesses was submitted tp the general superintendent and Grant's dismissal followed yesterday. Grant, upon receiving the letter discharging him, went to see Fuller this afternoon, and with him came to the depot to see me. We talked the matter over on the platform. Grant abused both Fuller and myself, drew his pistol from his hip pocked aimedit at Fuller and fired one shot. Fuller fell and I ran into the building, Grant shooting after me. Fuller was in no way responsible for Grant's discharge.

About this time Policeman Flory, making his usual rounds came running up West Church street after hearing the shooting. He called on Grant, drawing his revolver, to throw up his hand. Instead Grant opened fire on him, one ball striking him in the right side two and a half inches from the pit of the shoulder. Flory fired one shot, aiming low. The bullet hit Grant low in the abdomen and will probably cause his death.

One bullet entered the right side of Fuller's head over the tem- ple and turned downward, lodging in his neck. His lungs were filled with blood. Fuller died at seven o'clock. After Fuller was struck down bystanders state that Grant fired one shot at him as he lay on the platform, but the bullet did not take effect. Flory died about two minutes after he was shot.

Samuel Golden and Harry G. Naille, the later a special officer, ran to Grant, and, after a severe tussle, succeeded in disarming him. The testimony of bystanders differs but, it is said, Grant fired in all seven shots, reloading once,

When disarmed his five-shooter 32-claibar pistol contained two empty shells and one cartridge. Grant was taken to jail at once walking all the way though badly wounded. He begged Golden, after they reached the prison to buy him some poison.

Fuller was carried into the freight house and was attended by Drs. E.A. Wareham, J.McP. Scott and O.H.W. Ragan. The bodies of Fuller and Flory were later removed to the undertaking establishment of Charles M. Suter, where a post-mortem examination was performed by the three physicians. Two juries of inquest were summoned. They went to the scene of the tragedy, viewed the premises and the bodies and adjourned until this afternoon.

Justice Hoffman went to jail and interviewed Grant, who is still conscious. Grant showed no signs of repentance. He admitted the shooting, but said he was forced to kill Flory. He said he was sorry he did not kill himself, and he intended killing himself before morning if he did not die nautrally.

Fuller leaves a widow and one daughter, Mrs. Alice Shull, of Spencer, S.C. Fuller has been in the employ of the Cumberland Valley ever since the road was built to Hagerstown, about 1863. He is said to have run the first engine to Hagerstwon. He was about 62 years old. He was a brother of Mr. Charles Fuller, of Winchester.

Grant, heretofore had been considered respectable, quiet and efficient with no bad habits. He is about 50 years old and has a wife and three children.

Flory, aged about 32, was the son of Alexander M. Flory, of Four Locks, Washington County, and was deputy sheriff under Sheriff M. Finley Seibert. He was regarded as an especially efficient officer.

General Superintendent J.F. Boyd, of the Cumberland Valley, arrived in Hagerstown from Chambersburg on a special train with Fuller's two brothers.

A dispatch received this afternoon say Grant's condition is improved, and that he will probalby recover.


Public Opinion, Chambersburg, Pa., Thursday Morning, June 27, 1901

Grant Held To Await The Action Of Washington County Grand Jury

Inquests Held at Hagerstown on Wednesday and the Murderer Committed Without Bail by Justice Hoffman.

Hagerstown, June 26.

Showing to remorse for the terrible double crime which sent two men to eternity and brought him within the shadow of the gallows, William Grant is still alive in the Washington County prison. It is the general impression that he will die although the prison physician says his wound is not necessarily fatal. The belief that he will not get well is based on the supposition of those who know him that he will do all he can to retard his recovery. This supposition is due to the fact that while being taken to prison he asked for poison and a knife with which to commit suicide. AS a precautionary measure he is being carefully guarded by a deputy sheriff. He has little to say; indeed, he is to weak to talk much if he desired. The policeman's bullet is low down in the murder- er's abdomen and, from the nature of his wound, it is pretty cer- tain that Flory show low purposely so as not to kill Grant. Grant said last nith that Flory had shot him twice and this seems to be accepted as true. The first bullet from the policeman's revolver, it is now learned, grazed Grant's neck. Grant's second bullet fired at the officer, entered the house of H. Culler Tice, on West Franklin street. Mr. Tice'slittle girl made a narrow escape from being killed by the missile. She was sitting at an upstairs win- dow when the bullet crashed through another window a few inches from the one at which the little girl was sitting. The father recovered the bullet and will keep it.

Hose Witnessed Murder

It developed to-day that William Hose the roundhouse machinist with whom Grant had the trouble that led to the discharge. was a witness of the murder of Mr. Fuller. To an "Opinion" reporter this evening Mr. Hose said that after Grant had shot Mr. Fuller he turned the weapon on himself, snapping it three or four times.

He says that Grant then stepped off the platform and began to reload the pistol when Policeman Flory appeared. Mr. Hose said he was far enough away to be out of reach of Grant's weapon.

It has been firmly established that John William Grant, the dis- charged Cumberland Valley railroad engineman who shot and killed Jacob J. Fuller and Policeman Murphy Flory last night, premedita- ted the killing of the foreman and stopped at nothing that would prevent him following out that determination. Not only was he revengeful toward the railroad man he killed. He also made up his mind to wreak his vengeance on two other employees of the Cumber- land Valley railroad company, Samuel H. Long, the general freight agent, amd William Hose, a roundhouse machinist. That he did not kill the former was that because his bullet, fired after him shortly after he had given Fuller a fatal wound, went wide of the mark and that Long made his escape before Grant could carry out his desire.

Sorry He Killed Flory

The killing of the policeman was incidental. It was not in Grant's plan, for he said to-day he was sorry his bullet had struck Flory. He expressed no sorrow at Mr. Fuller's death. There is no question but that Grant felt he was being badly treated by his superiors, for at several places in twon he spoke bitterly of the attitude of the men over him. To use his blunt expression he said "They've done me dirty." Grant is a Virginian and he was not the one to forget or allow to go unnoticed a wrong inflicted on him.

Imagine a man, who had known nothing but railroading ever since he was able to work, thrown out of a situation at the age of fifty when nothing to look forward to accepting the scant remuneration of a day laborer; with a family that had been accustommed to living within the means of a father who had all his life made ex- cellent wages. Those who know him here say he was half-crazed by the unfortunate situation in which he had been placed; that he made up his mind that there was nothing worth living for longer and that he would put an end first to those he blamed and then to himself. Then, again, it must not be forgotten tht he was not strong physically; that he had been unable for months to partake of the proper nourishment to strengthen mind and body. He was just the sort of man under the conditions you would not be sur- prised to hear of doing somthing desperate; he could not raise himself above the one fact that remained in his weakened brain brain continually; that is, that he had lost his situation and that in some manner the men he swore vengeance on were in a measure responsible. A stronger man would have accepted the situation philosophically and made the best of it. He could never have forgotten, but his courage would have directed toward making the most of the remaining years of life.

Funerals Arranged For.

The funerals of Grant's victoms have been arranged for. That of Policeman Flory will take place on Thursday afternoon at 2 o'clock with services at St. Peter's Lutheran church, Clearspring. Rev. in charge A. ROVER, the pastor will ______. internment will be made in the cemetery adjoining the graveyard. The body was taken to the Western Maryland station this morning, from which place it was sent to the dead officer's home at Four Locks, this county.

The funeral of Mr. Fuller will take place at 9 o'clock on Friday morning with services at the house conducted by Revs. S.W. Owens and H.F. Downs Internment will be made in Rose Hill cemetery. The pallbearers will be relatives.

Agent Long's Statement

Perhaps no one knows better than Samuel H. Long, the general agent of the Cumberland Valley at Hagerstown, the cause of the tragedy. The following is his explanation

"Grant had been discharged from the service for drawing a knife on Machinist William Hose. Fuller reported the matter. The tes- timony of witnesses was submitted to the general superintendent and Grant's dismissal followed Monday. Grant, upon receiving the letter discharging him, went to see Fuller Tuesday afternoon, and with him came to the depot to see me. We talked the matter over on the platform. Grant abused both Fuller and myself, drew his pistol from his hip pocket, aimed it at Fuller and fired one shot. Fuller fell and I ran into the building, Grant shooting after me. Fuller was in no way responsible for Grant's discharge."

The Inquests Held.

Two juries of inquistion met this afternoon at the office of Justice Hoffman, acting coroner, and in each case a verdict of murder was returned against J. William Grant, who as told in de- tail in the "Opinion" Wednesday morning, shot and killed Jacob J. Fuller, yard foreman at the Cumberland Valley Railroad, and Murphy E. Flory, of the city police force. Justice Hoffman then commit- ted Grant to jail without bail for the action of the grand jury.

The Flory inquisition began at 3 o'clock and lasted one hour, at the conclusion of which the jury, after a deliberation of but a few minutes, returned the following verdict

That "a certain J. William Grant feloniously, voluntarily and of malice aforethought, shot the said Murpy E. Flory in the right breast with a leaden bullet from a revolver then and there in his right hand, inflicting a mortal wound, of which mortal wound the said Mr. Murphy E. FLory then and there instantly died; and so the said J. William Grant then and there feloniously killed and murder- the sid Murphy E. Flory against the peace __________ .


Franklin Repository, June 28, 1901

Jacob Fuller Buried.

Hagerstown, June 28- The funeral of Jacob J. Fuiler took place this morning. His brothers and brothers-in-law acted as pall bearers and quite a number of the C.V.R.R officials, employees and friend from Chambersburg were here. His daughter Mrs. Shull was delayed by a washout and arrived here some hours after the funeral.

Wm. Grant, the double murderer will recover and now seems to realize the enormity of his awful crime. His family is completely prostrated by his act and he spends most of his waking hours moan- ing and evincing great distress of mind.

The Winchester Star says "Mr. Grant was intensely Southern in his feeling and doubtless has said many things to irritate his Norther co-workers. He would have nothing to do with them and even went so far as to keep his saving on deposit in a Winchester bank, because he was afraid of northern financial institutions. These circumstances, it is said, were back of all the trouble which resulted in his discharge from the railroads employ and incendentaily let to the shooting."


Franklin Repository, Chambersburg, Pa., Saturday Evening, June 29, 1901

Grant Sane

Made Threats With His Revolver on Other Fellow Workingmen Before Mr. Charles Fuller, forman of the C.V.R.R. roundhouse in Winchester, Va., and formerly of town was in town Friday after attending the funeral of his brother Jacob, who was murdered in Hagerstown by William Grant.

To a Repository man Mr. Fuller said there was no doubt in the minds of all familiar with the facts that Grant was entirely sane when he shot Flory and Fuller, that he is a man with an ungovern- able temper and in a fit of rage did the deed, which he had pre- pared to do beforehand when not angered to so great an extent.

Some time ago Fuller said, Grant had an altercation with another fellow employee of the C.V.R.R. and made threats against him in Winchester. He carried a revolver then and Mr. Charles Fuller had it in his hand. The same weapon was the one with which Grant did the act which caused the death of Fuller's older brother later.

Mr. Fuller said he, nor none of his family, had any desire to see Grant hanged as the pitied his poor wife and children, with whom Jacob Fuller and his wife had been intimate and to whom the latter had been expecially kind, because of the fact that Mrs. Grant is almost entirely blind. When told that Grant had shot Fuller the latter's wife would not believe it at first, as she thought from the intimacy between the families that such a thing was impossible.

Back to the Genealogy Menu